- Posted on Tuesday, July 3, 2:25 pm
Working with many couples through the years, we have found that one of the toughest planning choices tends to be the Mother-Son dance. First, there are relatively few songs to select from when compared to songs available for the Father-Daughter dance. Second, it can be difficult to find a song whose lyrics reflect the relationship between a specific mother and son.
Who should pick the Mother-Son song? It can be selected by either the groom or his mother. Mothers usually opt for songs with lyrics that are written from the perspective of a Mother to a Son (for example, Molly Pasutti's "The Man You've Become"). When sons select the song, they will opt for a song with a general good feeling, or a song with lyrics written from the perspective of a Son to a Mother (for example, DJ Keo's "All to You").
Take a careful listen to the lyrics of your selected Mother-Son dance. Be careful not to use songs that are about the love between a husband and wife, or that contain bittersweet themes. Roberta Flack's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is an example of a song that sounds good in theory, but upon a careful listen is clearly inappropriate.
Following are our Top 20 Mother-Son Dances, with the musical genre shown in parentheses. All of these songs have been field-tested and contain appropriate lyrics and themes. Please comment with your own favorite Mother-Son songs! Also, you can view videos of all of these songs on our Mother-Son Dance Pinterest Board.
20 Suggested Mother-Son Dance Songs
- Stand By Me - Ben E. King (soul)
- I'll Always Love My Mama - The Intruders (R&B/Soul)
- Singing a Song for My Mother - Bohannon (R&B/Soul)
- A Song for Mama - Boyz II Men (R&B/Soul)
- You Raise Me Up - Josh Groban (classical)
- Close to You - The Carpenters (soft rock)
- Child of Mine - Carole King (folk)
- Song for My Son - Mikki Viereck (wedding)
- It Happens in a Heartbeat - Teresa James (wedding)
- The Man You've Become - Molly Pasutti (wedding)
- You've Got a Friend in Me - Randy Newman w/Lyle Lovett (Disney)
- The Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler (vocalist)
- All to You - DJ Keo (country)
- My Wish - Rascal Flatts (country)
- I Hope You Dance - LeAnn Womack (country)
- Through the Years - Kenny Rogers (country)
- Forever Young - Alphaville (80s)
- Can't Smile Without You - Barry Manilow (vocalist)
- Simple Man - Lynrd Skynrd (classic rock)
- What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong (classic)
For additional Mother-Son dance song ideas, visit our friends at Wedding Music Central.
About Ambient DJ Service
Ambient DJ Service is a full-service mobile NJ DJ entertainment company that specializes in weddings. We enjoy working with our clientele to create unique, unforgettable celebrations! For more info, about our wedding DJ services in NJ, visit us on the web at www.ambientdj.com
- Wedding Music Master Class 2014
- 40 Songs for a Reggae Dance Party
- 25 Great Songs Featuring a Trumpet
- Wedding Music Master Class 2013
- 50 Essential Wedding Cocktail Hour Playlists
- Wedding Music Master Class 2015
- 36 Suggested Cakecutting Songs for a Wedding
- 20 Suggested Mother-Son Dance Songs for a Wedding
- Dinner Music Selections for a Wedding by DJ Spinz
- 50 Hot Songs for a 2013 Sweet 16